This recipe comes from Louis Pappas Restaurant, family-owned and operated on the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs, Florida, from 1925-2004,. Every March the alumnae chapter of my college sorority gathers all the ingredients for this legendary dish, and we enjoy a special salad lunch. The last two years the luncheon has been at my home, and it will be here again next year.
Louis Pappas Greek Salad
For 4 salads:
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup whole green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt to taste
1. Cook unpeeled potatoes in unsalted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Cool until you can handle them.
3. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks in large bowl.
4. Sprinkle with vinegar and salt; add chopped green onions; toss.
5. In small bowl combine parsley, sliced green onions, mayonnaise and salt.
6. Add to potatoes; mix well.
1 medium head iceberg lettuce
3 cups potato salad
12 roka (Greek vegetable) leaves or 12 sprigs watercress
2 ripe tomatoes cut into 6 wedges each
1 cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 fingers
1 avocado, peeled and cut in wedges
Juice from 1/2 lemon
4 (3-inch-square) portions feta cheese (or use crumbled cheese)
1 green bell pepper, cut into 8 rings each
4 canned beet slices
4 large shrimp, cooked and peeled
4 anchovy filets
12 Greek olives
12 Greek Salonika peppers (from a jar)
4 to 8 radishes, cut into flowers
4 to 8 whole green onions
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Line large platter with outside lettuce leaves; mound potato salad in center.
2. Shred remaining lettuce; place on top of potato salad; top with roka or watercress.
3. Place tomatoes around the outer edge, with a few on top.
4. Place cucumber wedges between tomatoes.
5. Sprinkle lemon juice on avocado to prevent browning. Add avocado.
6. Arrange feta on top of salad; place green pepper rings, beets, shrimp and anchovies on top of feta.
7. Place olives, Salonika peppers, radishes and green onions around the edge.
8. Sprinkle with vinegar, then oil. Sprinkle oregano on top.